Sunday, May 16, 2010

After 3 1/2 years...


Outgoing Presidency
Krista Radandt, Sidney Christensen, Annette Knight and Holly Engar


Over the past three and a half years, I have recorded the things that I have learned while serving as Relief Society President. Today, the day of my release, I decided to 'publish' these learnings.

Here is what I learned while serving as Relief Society President...

1. We [sisters] judge ourselves too harshly. The Lord sees and understands we are trying and is merciful in his judgment.



2. The direction I am to lead the Relief Society changes from time, to time, just like the Liahona (see Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 16).

3. Whether we develeop or give 100 fold or 30 fold - BOTH are acceptable to the Lord.

4. Love goes a long way!

5. Visiting Teaching is VITAL and CRITICAL to the Relief Society organization. We covenant to watch over each other and this is one way it is accomplished.

6. I don't 'do' other peoples callings for them. I delegate and let them run with their responsibilities.

7. I don't really like to talk on the phone.

8. The Relief Society lesson manual is inspiring and inspired.

9. At Glenn Snarr's funeral, I was taught the importance of being nice to everyone.

10. In May 2009 I wrote: I've been denying the feeling that we [our ward] will be having a lot of funerals this year. This absolutly saddens me. But, I need to get things in place for these funerals.
11. Women need a little 'fufu' in their lives. Sometimes feeling the spirit just isn't enough. (Please understand what I mean. At the Visiting Teaching Workshop in January 2010, there was just enough 'fufu' to assist the spirit in touching the hearts of the sisters!)

12. The Lord prepares one to receive a calling and he also prepares one to be released from that calling.

13. In my professional career, I never wanted to be in management. After this experience, I think management is where I should head if I ever go back to work. I really do feel I have great organizational skills, delegation skills, people skills, and communication skills, plus a good head on my shoulders. These are all the requirements for good management. I don't write this to boast, only to remind myself of some of the qualities I saw emerge from this calling.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Thinking of you! You are a dear friend and example to all!