Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mike's 60th Birthday!!!

Today is Mike's Birthday!!!

While it wasn’t feasible to have family and friends all to come to Salt Lake to celebrate this day, I thought it would be fun to have them write me a quick memory about you - brother Mike, Uncle Mike, brother-in-law Mike, etc. I hope you enjoy these tributes!


When Mike was a little feller, not quite three years, we were living in College Park, Maryland. Mike and I were out in our yard having a nature moment watching a ‘lady bug’. Quite unexpectedly the bug spread her wings and took off. It startled Mike and he said, “Oh, it opened its mouth.” (Only being young he said, ‘mouf’.) One would have to watch a lady bug take off to know why he said this. I’ve remembered this so long because I think of it every time I see a lady bug. Caroline Christensen

Lou, remember when we went to 18 movies in one day--on a Thanksgiving Day? Okay, that's an exaggeration. But it was a lot. It was fun. And I don't know if you remember this but I just thought about this recently--and had forgotten--you let me steer and shift the Bomb while you were driving. Yes! It wouldn't surprise me if, around the same time that you let me "drive". Mungo Jerry was singing "In the Summertime." That's how long ago it was. Have a great birthday, though. Much Love, Suzanne Christensen

I can't remember anything humorous, but Mike and I used to do marathon video movie watching on some Saturdays. We'd rent 2-4 sci-fi or horror flicks and watch themall afternoon and evening which was fun. Or, in the early 1980's we would stay up late and watch the Friday Night Rock videos. Wayne Nesmith

Memory with Jeff Christensen… One time we all went to the Lake (Lake Powell) to fish and Mike went with us. Mike had just bought some new, expensive sunglasses and was wearing them. I know when this happened that it was kind of dark. Anyway, when we got to the marina, Jeff wanted to try on Mike's sunglasses and of course Mike let him. Then apparently Jeff wanted to see what the fish looked like using Mike's glasses so he leaned over and looked over the rail and plop, into the lake they went! Ugh! As a mother I was so mad at him, but Mike just brushed off like...hmm things happen. He was always so good with the kids and they love him.
As for Brandon, it's the two handed peace sign! If ever Mike is mentioned, up goes both hands doing the peace signs with a "Hi, Mike!" Mike always makes it a point to say, "Hi, Brandon!" Before there was Sidney, Brandon used to sit by Mike. A little too close for his mother's liking, but again Mike just put up with it and swore that it was OK! Thanks, Mike!

What I enjoy the most is to have Mike (and now Sidney) come over and watch the weirdest movies ever. Most people don’t even know the movies Mike and Scot watch exist (except maybe Kirk)! Not only had I not even heard of them, they can quote the whole movie, AND know the actors by name! Crazy, but way entertaining! Mike, you mean a lot to me and my family. Such fun times when Uncle Mike is here. Great coat, suspenders, gloves (that the kids would always use, wear, and ruin), laughs, visits, etc. We think you’re great! Happy 60th (Wow!) Birthday! Julene Christensen
Mike is a marvelous man and a wonderful husband to our daughter! He is a quiet gentle giant. His willingness to help with anything is amazing. Also amazing is his knowledge of the Gospel and the way he honors his Priesthood. He treats Sidney with such consideration, respect, and kindness, which we really appreciate. He is very respectful of our entire family. We particularity notice the honor, concern, and respect he has for his own mother and father. They have taught him well. We love Mike and are very excited to have him in our family and as our son-in-law. Kathryn Lang

No comments: