Saturday, October 25, 2008

And the Winner is...

I was just reading a friends blog and Kate wrote about her WIN. She challenged us to write about something we'd won and of course, we've all won SOMETHING... Here's my winning story!


When I was in sixth grade, Miss Buss had two contests that ran simultaneouly. The first was to come up with a list of compound words, i.e., CANNOT, ??? - all of a sudden, no other compound words are coming to mind!


The second contest was come up with a list of two words that sound the same, but are spelled differently, i.e., THEIR/THERE, PITCHER/PICTURE, GO COUGARS!!! - Oh, that isn't for this story, anyway...


I decided that both of these contests would be easy for me. They ran at the same time and I fully expected to win both! At the time, I read constantly and so my approach for becoming the WINNER was to read and read and read and everytime I came upon either types of these words, I wrote the word down. The contested lasted a couple of weeks. When the winners were announced, I only won the COMPOUND word category. I believe I had 57 compound words and I think I won a jar of candy. I honestly don't remember...


I just know I WON!!! (Like BYU did today!)

As I have no photos that captured that win, I decided to post a picture of me around my sixth grade year...


My brother David was born during my sixth grade year.
This picture must have been around that time!

1 comment:

Navylangs said...

Go Utes!
(You've seen this weeks rankings, right?)