Wednesday, July 2, 2008

And the Walls Came Tumbling Down...

Okay, right up front, I am making a disclaimer. If anything I say hurts your feelings, I'm apologizing up front.

This morning I went down to The Wooden Spoon in American Fork with friend Deeann Reynolds. She told me she'd driven by our old [since January we've been in a new 'old' building for church] building this morning and the demolition team was there tearing it down. When we came back from American Fork, we drove by the building. As soon as Deeann dropped me off, I grabbed my camera and took a few pictures.



West side of building is complete demolished.

The 'white wall' is the east wall of what was once the cultural hall.




East side - Front of the chapel and in the back, the remains of the cultural hall.



A closer look... The roof is off the cultural hall and overflow areas and probably some of the back of chapel.

Now, you are probably wondering, "Why the disclaimer?" Well, here's the history. Last January - January 13th - to be exact. Mike and I were having a nice mini-vacation in Blanding when I received a phone call late Sunday afternoon. I was told that in church that day it had been announced that two wards in our stake were being dissolved, making five wards from seven and that the Texas Street Building - this building here - would be closed down and demolished. It shocked EVERYONE. Our ward was not dissolved, but 225 members were moved into the Foothill 3rd Ward. Many people were irritated about the building being demolished as well has having to move to another building - which was actually older. People were upset because they couldn't walk to church (the other building is three blocks away!) Many people had built this building with their sweat, tears, and dollars. For me personally, I didn't have any attachment to this building. Plus, I'm a person who follows rules. If I am told to go to a new building, I'll go. Not a big deal. Plus, I'd rather see the money spent on new temples or buildings in other areas where the church is growing rather than seeing this building remodeled, again. I've pretty much kept this all to myself, unless someone felt the same why I did. I've lived outside of Utah, I know what it is like to drive miles to church. I'm okay with sacrificing a building. (Note: Because of the construction of the new junior high to the west of the building, the building ground had actually shifted and the walls attached to the roof in the chapel had actually come apart by 1 1/2 inches, plus numerous other things... but of course, some people think the building should kept, period.)

It just so happens I am the 'lucky' individual that has been serving as Relief Society President during all of this and some people haven't been very nice or kind regarding all of these changes. I've HEARD IT ALL. So, I've had the attitude all along that "I will be so grateful when the building comes down because then these people will know it is final." Some people were holding so much hope. But frankly, it is just a building and as Annette Powell told me, and I absolutely agree, "This building filled the measure of its creation." I absolutely believe those words. So, with those 'last words', let me leave you with this last picture...

As Deeann and I drove by the building this afternoon I noticed that these day lillies were in bloom. I thought, "Amid all of the demolition, there are these day lillies, still blooming" It was a 'sign' if you will that life goes on, the gospel goes on, and despite the building being demolished, everyone and everything else lives on. We will be victors over the death of this building!!!

Hip Hip Horray for the Day Lillies!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh the memories! I'm glad you took some pictures. To think we drove to church there- now it's a 15 minute drive and we live close! Funny thing- we're on time now!