Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Vacation Highlights - Puerto Penasco

Puerto Penasco, Mexico...

We stayed in a nice one bedroom condo a block from Mirador Beach and had an ocean view and breeze! The breeze was important as it was VERY HUMID down there, but who noticed, because we were either in the pool, the ocean, or home in air conditioning! We did absolutely nothing, which was VERY IMPORTANT to me!

Jelly Fish

Okay, we are at the beach less than an hour and a jelly fish stings me on my wedding ring finger. It HURT! Luckily, it was a very small fish with a long tenicle - picture below - but the sting lasted for 1 1/2 hours. I never saw another jelly fish afterwards. (I did see two others before the sting.)



Pelicans

There were an abundance of pelicans at the beach. I'd never seen so many of them. It was so fun to watch them dive for their food. Their heads took on this odd posture just as they were ready to dive!



What We Do Best...






Church...

We attend one of the two Puerto Penasco Branches. We actually arose early and went to 9:00am meetings! It was the BEST EXPERIENCE. I didn't understand a word of Sacrament meeting, but the thought that kept coming to my mind was, "Be Still, and Know that I am God". I was still and I felt the spirit of the meeting. Attending this branch was one of the highlights of our trip for both Mike and I. They had an English speaking Sunday School class and then a translator in Relief Society (no translator in priesthood, which was fine with Mike).


A funny story... Many of you know that I enjoy singing and I have a loud voice. We were singing out of a Spanish hymnbook - which was really fun - but I wasn't singing very loudly, at least in my opinion. In priesthood meeting, Mike introduced himself in Spanish [former missionary in the Argentine mission 1967-1969]. Mike told them that he was from Salt Lake City. The Hermano (brother in Spanish?) conducting asked him if his wife [me!] was a a member of the Tabernacle Choir. My wonderful husband responded, "No, but she should be!" Wasn't that nice of Mike to say? I love music, but I don't ever think I'll ever become a member of the choir. (I actually began the audition process about eight years ago and was rejected on the first round. But I'm glad because I know myself and I know that Mike and I would have never met had I become a member of the choir. I'm so glad that our Heavenly Father had a better plan for me!!!)

1 comment:

Jodi said...

what a fun trip! I was shocked when I saw pictures of the beach, thinking maybe Mike agreed to fly there...I should've known better. Looks like you had fun though. I've been thinking about you lately and I'm glad I can check out your blog to see what you've been up to. We miss you!